Thursday, June 19, 2014

Top Four Houseguests

The Big Brother 16 cast has been revealed, and I'm here to share my first impressions. My opinions of everyone will obviously change, but I already have strong opinions about everyone.

Here are my top 4 houseguests: 

Christine Brecht

After reading Christine’s cast bio, my first impression is that she’s the female Ian Terry, which I am VERY excited about. There’s never been a female geek on Big Brother, and we’re long overdue. Christine is both a superfan (live feeder, seen every episode) and plays strategy board games, which I think will aid her game. In her interview with Jeff, she said she plans on making a secret alliance with someone on the opposite side of the house and keeping each other safe. I’m a huge advocate of secret alliances (most notable, Danielle and Jason in BB3), however, I think the strategy could potentially blow up. The first problem I foresee is that her main ally would be working with the opposite side of the house and spending all of their time with them. This means that they will bond with other people, but still be expected to remain loyal to Christine, who they won’t be spending an immense amount of time with. This is exactly what happened with the infamous Moving Company in BB15 - the members all spent time with various people in the house to “manipulate” them in favor of the MC, but they were more bonded with their non-allies than the Moving Company. I also think it can be difficult to keep someone safe if they’re on the other side of the house. People will begin to suspect both Christine and her hypothetical partner if week after week, they have excuses to not put each other up, which would put them both at risk.  Obviously, pre-game strategies aren’t worth much, but I’m glad that she has thought about the game and seems to have a great personality. I think she’ll actively play the game and not just be a floater.

Derrick Levasseur

I’m very intrigued by Derrick. He was an undercover cop for years, which I think will aid his game. He also plans on keeping his profession under wraps, and I’m curious how long he can keep the secret and what career he’ll claim to have. Lying about your career is one of the most common first lies in Big Brother, and I think it can say a lot about someone. Derrick will lie about his career because of the mixed opinions people have about cops, which I can understand. Other people that lie about their careers seem to be overestimating how intimidating their profession is (i.e., Ragan lying about not having a Ph.D in Communications in BB12 and Danielle lying about being a nurse in BB14). From my impression, Derrick’s greatest problem will be relating to the other houseguests. He seems very militant and disciplined in his bio and video - we haven’t seen a lighthearted side of him yet. Unless he makes up a believable career, I also think everyone will see right through the lie, since he really comes off like a police officer or soldier. Derrick also claims he will learn as much about his houseguests as possible, then use it against them later. Being a good listener, especially early on, is key to a strong social game, and is one of the factors Dan contributes to his success. I like the idea of him using things against houseguests, but I’m not sure when he plans on striking. Big Brother is a game of timing, and if he plays this card even one week too soon, he’ll be evicted immediately. Most big game moves are, and should, after jury, which could actually be about 7-8 weeks in with such a giant cast. I like that Derrick wants to play the game and is willing to get blood on his hands, however, he needs to make sure he doesn’t play too strong, too fast.

Donny Thompson

Donny seems like such a genuinely nice guy. Donny says he will have a hard time lying to people, but he will if he has to. He worries that he’ll be kicked out first because he expects to be older than everyone else (which he is). Donny’s fears are very realistic, so it would be wise for him to really put himself out there socially, but not physically. He’s so charismatic and funny, that his social game will be a true threat. If he teams up with a strong guy and a strategic player, he could make it far.

Zach Rance

I do have somewhat mixed feelings about Zach, just because I can tell he’s putting on a persona to be more outrageous. I’m fine with personas (i.e. Dr. Will), I just don’t know if I’m buying it. However, I think Zach is willing to be crazy and entertaining, and he’s willing to play the game. I don’t know if I believe he can manipulate and control everyone, but I’m interested to see what he’ll do, which is more I can say about some of the other houseguests.

No comments:

Post a Comment