Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Week 1 Player Analysis (First 8 Houseguests)

Big Brother 16 premiered tonight and we got to see the first 8 houseguests enter the house, create alliances and compete for HoH. Here is my analysis of each of the 8 houseguests and what I think their move should be this first week and beyond.

Frankie
As winner of the first HoH, Frankie needs to be careful not to be too ostentatious and threatening this week, especially since his nominations might not be permanent. I think Frankie could succeed as the first HoH, as he doesn’t seem like a huge competition threat (though agile, smaller, but toned guys tend to be bigger threats than muscular guys). He should spend this week cementing relationships, making 2 week deals (particularly before the Battle of the Block) and trying to make himself seem friendly, funny and nonthreatening. If he can keep the laughs going and the game talk to a minimum outside of deals, he can bulldoze this week with few mistakes. My biggest hesitation with him is that he seems dramatic and like he needs a lot of attention. If he starts to freak out too much about the HoH twist or require too much attention that he exhausts the other houseguests, he could easily be a target next week.

Amber
I appreciate that Amber was the last girl in the HoH competition, but I respect her even more for throwing the competition. Though her fake out when throwing the comp was among the worst I’ve ever seen (even next to Arlie in BBCAN 2). Amber was my absolute least favorite houseguest before the show, but she’s quickly moving up my list. I feel like she’s considering her moves and actions before making them, which is more than most non-fans do in the first few weeks. I feel like Amber has very strong listening skills, which is a huge asset in Big Brother, particularly in the first few weeks. This week, Amber should spend most of her time getting to know the girls in particular. I think her biggest distractions this early would be a possible crush on Devin and her devotion to the all girls alliance.

Nicole
I think Nicole will need a week or two to feel comfortable, whereas the more extroverted characters seem like they can easily adjust to the BB house. Nicole should spend her time one-on-one with her houseguests. As an introvert, she is quieter and more uncomfortable in groups, but I think she can really come out of her shell in one-on-one talks. Her focus should be on bonding with Frankie, who I think can bring her out, Joey, for the same reasons as Frankie, and Donny, because it seems like they could really connect and they both already like each other.

Donny
While I think Nicole should spend this week playing up to her natural disposition, I think Donny should spend this week breaking out of his comfort zone. He needs to stay up late with everyone, go along with whatever is going on (truth or dare, hottubbing, etc.) and try to insert himself into the group dynamic.


Devin
Devin needs to spend this week toning it down a bit more than we saw in the premiere. He not only greatly contributed to the creation of the Crazy 8s, he also made a secret alliance with Donny. I don’t think early alliances are a huge deal in creating an unstoppable trajectory (usually), but Devin is at great risk of playing too hard, too fast. I really hope he doesn’t make secret alliances with everyone, and just leaves it to Donny. Devin truly is naturally charismatic, which he needs to use to his advantage. Devin can also greatly benefit from one-on-one conversations, because I predict that he has the ability to make someone feel like they’re the only person in the room.

Joey
Joey is in an interesting position this week. Normally, I would normally say that she’s in a great position because she had an instant connection with the first HoH, but this could actually hurt her immensely. If the new HoH is threatened by Frankie, or even threatened by a growing friendship, Joey could be put up by the other HoH. Joey should spend this week getting to know everyone (I know I’ve said everyone should do this), I just fear that Joey is the type of person who attaches herself to one person. I don’t predict that Joey will make any big or interesting moves in the game, so she needs to begin her social game immediately.

Paola
Paola is officially my least favorite houseguest. Her ego deserves its own key. Paola has no idea what she’s doing and I hope it gets her evicted sometime within the first 3 weeks. She should spend her first week listening, instead of talking nonstop like she seems to be doing. She tells everyone what she’s thinking and feeling at any given time and she has no subtlety (i.e. her interactions with Cody), so she will likely destroy her own game by showing her cards. Paola is also at risk of playing too hard too fast. I don’t have much faith in El Cuatro and I think Paola will go down along with the alliance.

Cody
Cody is the most boring houseguest who’s entered so far. He should spend this week trying to muster up a personality, tell a few jokes and obviously get to know people. He should try to nurture a friendship with Frankie, which shouldn’t be forced, considering the chess scene. Obviously, he’s going to get into a showmance with Paola, which will destroy them both. If Frankie or the other HoH has only the first 8 to pick from and the romance has already sprouted, they’re an obvious first pick. Cody could win POV or let Paola dig her own grave if they both stay on the block.

No comments:

Post a Comment